The Wawascene was created by Dr. Mark Stock, former Superintendent of the Wawasee Community School Corporation. Due to its local popularity, Dr. Stock has left the blog site to future Wawasee administrators.
Comments should be respectful and pertain to the topic posted. Comments about personnel matters should be made directly to the administrators responsible. Blog moderators reserve the right to remove any comment determined not in keeping with these guidelines.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
Monday, November 19, 2012
*SUICIDE PREVENTION INFORMATION SESSION*
The Wawasee Community School Corporation will be hosting an informational session on suicide prevention on Tuesday, November 20th from 5:30-6:15 PM in the Wawasee High School auditorium. Christina Bolden from the Bowen Center will be presenting. All patrons are welcome to attend.
Posted by Superintendent, Dr. Thomas Edington at 5:38 PM
Wednesday, November 07, 2012
On November 12-17, WHS Key Club is having its annual non-perishable food drive benefiting the three local food pantries by "Stuffing A Bus" full of food and toiletry items. The bus will be in front of WHS on Monday, November 12 to Friday, November 16 during the hours of 7:15 am to 12:00 pm. Key Club members and the bus will also be at the following locations throughout the week:
- Tuesday, November 13 - Dollar General in Milford from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Thursday, November 15 - New Market in North Webster from 4:00 pm - 6:00 pm
- Saturday, November 17 - New Market in Syracuse from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm
Please help us "Stuff the Bus" for our community!
Wawasee High School Key Club. We don't make keys, we make a difference!
Posted by Superintendent, Dr. Thomas Edington at 9:43 AM
Tuesday, November 06, 2012
Wawasee Community Schools congratulate Wawasee High School for receiving an A grade for the 2011-2012 school year!
As a district, Wawasee Community Schools received a C grade from the state this year even though our test scores were very similar to 2010-2011. Last year, Wawasee was an A school district. What happened?
- Wawasee test scores were 1% lower in 2011-2012.
- Any dip in test scores results in a drop of at least a letter grade from the state.
- The state grading scale for schools changed to A=4, B=3.5, C=3, D=2, F=1. The grading scale we grew up with was A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1, F=0.
- The state changed their grading scale and implemented letter grade deductions for dips in scores causing more schools statewide to have lower grades.
- Wawasee is teaching the common core state standards curricula used by over 40 states. Indiana is still testing over the old state standards curricula.
- Wawasee appealed state grades at every school except Wawasee High School. We remain uncertain withe the validity of the state's data. Two Kosciusko County schools dropped from A's to C's and had higher scores than a school which declined and remained an A grade.
Reasons don’t matter to folks, though, when all of Wawasee Schools aren’t solid A’s or B’s. As teachers, administrators, and staff members, we work hard to meet student needs. There is a saying of “Work smarter, not harder.” As Wawasee Community Schools move forward, we will commit ourselves to using student data and available resources to work smarter to reach our goals.
Posted by Superintendent, Dr. Thomas Edington at 9:01 AM