The Wawascene was created by Dr. Mark Stock, former Superintendent of the Wawasee Community School Corporation. Due to its local popularity, Dr. Stock has left the blog site to future Wawasee administrators.

Blog Rules

Comments should be respectful and pertain to the topic posted. Comments about personnel matters should be made directly to the administrators responsible. Blog moderators reserve the right to remove any comment determined not in keeping with these guidelines.

Tuesday, August 21, 2007

OFF AND RUNNING

The 2007-08 School year is underway and I want to express my thanks to all of you who drive for keeping a sharp eye out for our kids who are walking, driving or who ride the bus. While we have had some minor "glitches" with the new lunchroom software, overall things seem to be going well. It is my observation the students in all of our schools are adjusting and seem excited to be back in school. Our new teachers also appear eager to get underway and are discovering how much work is involved in preparing for the school year. At this point our enrollment remains rather stable with approximately 3300 students.
The Wawasee Warrior season is also well underway for the year. The lady Warrior soccer team has jumped out to a 2-0 start with high goals to repeat the semi-state level effort of 2006. Men's and women's cross country teams get serious with their dual meets starting September 4.

Women's volleyball is off to a strong start with 2 wins against only one loss so far and the golf team is already entering the second half of their season and are pointing toward the Sectional on September 15.

Men's soccer is struggling a bit with a tough 0-2 over perennial powers Westview and Bethany Christian. In the battle of the W's, the varsity football team and cheerleaders opened with a "W" over Whitko last Friday. Our men's tennis team will face a challenging year with underclassmen leading the way for new head coach Roger Brady.

As you can see, exciting things are happening at school and on the athletic field. Get out support your favorite team. Go Warriors!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any timeline in mind for getting the school websites done? Syracuse Elementary has been "under construction" for a couple years now. We teach our students to complete their work. Why not set an example? My friend whose kid is at Milford is even able to check the lunch calendar online!

Anonymous said...

How about the high school lunch line? Is there a plan to get it moving faster to allow kids to get to class on time?

Anonymous said...

This website is about useless now that it isn't updated daily. In order for this to work and keep people interested and engaged, it needs to be up-to-date.

I have to admit, though, this is better than the school sites that have been "under construction" for years -- with no information at most of the links.

Anonymous said...

If you realized how much work it is just to get the initial start-up preparations done for school and getting your child ready for the ISTEP, you would not even ask that question. How about coming in to help the teachers do bulletin boards, cut out things, copy papers, etc. so they have a little extra time to devote to their websites? I am a teacher there, but I personally want my teacher to devote more time to my child than to their website. Also, if there was a way to access it at home, I would be more likely to stay updated. That's something I could do in the evenings after my children went to bed, not something I'm doing before or after school when I should be preparing for the next day. But again, don't complain about that yet- our computer technicians are still way too busy getting school started to think about that yet. Give us a couple of months.

Anonymous said...

Sorry- I'm reading my comment again. I meant to say, "...I personally want my CHILD'S teacher to devote more time to my child..." Sorry for the confusion.

Anonymous said...

About Anonymous #1 comment. I couldn't agree more. If you look at the Syracuse Elementary website and have a clue about the school, you would realize it has been YEARS since it has been updated,so I doubt waiting a couple months will help. Teachers listed for the fifth grade include Ms. Sombronsky,who about a year ago becamne Mrs. Hoepner, and who hasn't taught 5th grade since the 2005-2006 school year! The rest of the site has pretty much said "under construction" since before last school year, as well.

As far as teachers spending their time teaching, I don't think the teachers are responsible for the website! The teachers do a great job of keeping their grades updated for the Harmony Portal...the only part of the site worth anything anymore.

Anonymous said...

First thing on the website is about "sports" go figure! We should be reading about the education of our kids! Sports is NOT as important as my kids education and I'm sure I'm not the only parent who feels this way! Lets worry more about education and less about the sports!

As far as the "harmony" thing and the teachers doing a great job keeping things updated, I guess it depends on the teachers and how much time and devotion they have for our kids and their educations!

Anonymous said...

Of course, we don't allow a comment on the school corporation's incompetence in setting its schedule -- so I'll post here.

Clearly, the schools should have known how many minutes of instructional time were required prior to the start of school.

It is ridiculous to have to change now.

Anonymous said...

WHAT I DONT THINK IS RIGHT THE MIDDLE SCHOOL KIDS CAN ONLY HAVE 4 TO A TABLE AT LUNCH COME ON LET THEM HAVE MORE TO A TABLE THEY WANT TO SIT WITH THEIR NOT HAVE TO CHOOSE WHICH FRIEND TO SIT WITH OR WHY NOT LET THEM PUCH TABLES TOGETHER THEY DID LAST YEAR.