The Wawascene was created by Dr. Mark Stock, former Superintendent of the Wawasee Community School Corporation. Due to its local popularity, Dr. Stock has left the blog site to future Wawasee administrators.

Blog Rules

Comments should be respectful and pertain to the topic posted. Comments about personnel matters should be made directly to the administrators responsible. Blog moderators reserve the right to remove any comment determined not in keeping with these guidelines.

Monday, September 19, 2005

ISTEP article today

Fort Wayne Gazette article today on ISTEP.

I found it interesting that they report Noblesville High School passed a requirement that you had to pass ISTEP in order to drive to high school.

I don't think I agree with that one.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to get the details! My first instinct is that this is great motivation for the unmotivated. However, for those with true academic challenges, there must be some waiver process in place.

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Gives the unmotivated motivation! Unfair only to learning disabled students, and I am sure they have a waiver system in place!

Anonymous said...

I am not sure I agree. My child had a tough time with Istep and it wasn't because of a lack of motivation. These kids already suffer with a low self-esteem and this would be just another hurdle they would have to jump. I do understand though about students who don't have the motivation but should they be driving to school anyway if they have proven that their school work is not their top priority?

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... let's see. How do driving & ISTEP correlate? I think this extremely unfair to students with struggles. This doesn't include just those with learning disabilities either. It's unfair to punish a student for not passing ISTEP by taking away their ability to drive. It doesn't match. It makes no sense as the two are not related. Also, then we provide further handicaps for success by taking away this right. We eliminate job possibilities, etc. This is NOT a good idea! This will just encourage drop outs, not more fully engaged students.

Anonymous said...

Driving is not a right.