The Wawascene was created by Dr. Mark Stock, former Superintendent of the Wawasee Community School Corporation. Due to its local popularity, Dr. Stock has left the blog site to future Wawasee administrators.

Blog Rules

Comments should be respectful and pertain to the topic posted. Comments about personnel matters should be made directly to the administrators responsible. Blog moderators reserve the right to remove any comment determined not in keeping with these guidelines.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Staff survey shows tremendous changes

In 1997 the ACT (Assessment of Curriculum and Teaching) committee distributed a staff survey of 33 questions on a variety of topics from leadership to school climate. We agreed to do the survey again after a number of years to see if staff opinions had changed. We readministered the survey in the spring of 2005.

The results indicate that the staff showed increases in 32 of 33 questions.

Click here to see the SUMMARY of the categories.

Click here to see EACH question on the survey.

The blue lines show the percentages of teachers that said TRUE and the white lines show the percentages of teachers that said NOT TRUE.

One curiosity is that the only question on the survey that showed a decline was the question on "morale." However, when asked, "Do you find your work personally fulfilling and challenging?" teachers overwhelmingly said, "True."

We have been sharing the student successes, but the surveys indicate major gains in the way teachers see things as well.

Once again, the commitment and professionalism of our faculty shines through.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a parent of a student at the high school, I am concerned about the morale issue from the student standpoint. I have helped my student struggle through self-esteem issues due to negative comments made to them by fellow students and sometimes they feel that the staff does not do enough maintaining a positive enviroment in the classroom. Is this just my student or have other parents experienced this.

Superintendent, Dr. Thomas Edington said...

I know that the high school administrators are considering a "school climate" audit which would likely include random student sampling to see what the students have to say about their perceptions of high school life today.

I would encourage you or your child to contact Mrs. Stevens.

Anonymous said...

I see a difference between overall morale and feeling fulfilled with your job. In my case, I feel rewarded and challenged by working with my students. I feel fulfilled in this area. However, I believe morale is low because of lack of support and teammwork among staff. I do not feel supported and feel that the overall mentality of my building and team is low. I enjoy my work with kids- but not feel as though it is a positive working environment.